A SHORT GUIDE TO THE BEAUTIFUL CITY OF MANLY, SYDNEY

A beautiful boat ride from Sydney Harbour takes you to this lovely, laid-back Aussie town. I definitely want to go back some day!

Stock photo by Cat Mastro on Unsplash

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase from my blog. While clicking these links won’t cost you anything, they will help me to keep The Travel Vine up and running! Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Thanks so much!

I’ve only been to Manly once. It was with my husband Zac on Valentine’s Day many moons ago. Just like Bondi, it’s not the most spectacular beach you will see in Australia, but it’s not bad either. You come here for the atmosphere, not the beach. It’s a beautiful area of Sydney and has a real upmarket surfer vibe.

Manly beach when I visited. As you can see, it was a very dull and overcast day 😦

Stock photo from Gary Runn on Unsplash

Stock Photo by Jon Callow on Unsplash

The ferry ride from Circular Quay is a good indicator of what sort of place Manly is. Old colleagues of mine who rode the ferry to work would often see dolphins jumping alongside them in the mornings, so my advice would be to sit outside at the front of the ferry where you might be lucky enough to see some too.

Stock photo by ‘pmorgan’ on Pixabay

Stock photo by ‘Michelle Jimenez’ on Unsplash

When you alight at the pier, the beach is just to your left. When Zac and I went, we had a pleasant stroll along the West Esplanade, where we happened across the Manly Art Gallery and Museum. They had a lot of ceramics of houses on display, which was really cute and some cool art from local artists. We were in a silly mood that day, so we went to sit in the kid’s area and did some colouring, where we did quite an excellent job on some penguins!

Before I continue with my adventures around Manly, I hope you’re liking what you’ve read so far today. Why not subscribe below and stay up to date with new posts, exclusive deals and travel news:

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

A ceramic house on display at the Manly Art Gallery and Museum

My penguin masterpiece

Next we headed to the shops, and was surprised to find many upmarket and independent boutiques. I thought it would be full of surf shops, but how wrong I was. We followed up with some of the most amazing fish and chips in one of the restaurants on the main street. I can’t tell you the name of the place as for the life of me I can’t remember it, but you’re in Manly, Australia, trust me you will find good fish and chips just about anywhere.

Many Beach, Manly, NSW 2095 | www.manlyaustralia.com.au

Ready to book your tours in Manly, Australia? Then CLICK HERE.

Thanks so much for reading my post today on my visit to visiting Manly in Sydney. Besides it’s beautiful beach, there’s so much to see and do in this area, from the museum, to boutique shops and lovely coastal walks. It’s definitely worth the short trip. And if the weather is fine, then it’s an absolute must!

Are you planning a future trip to Sydney in the future? Will you be visiting Manly while you’re here? Leave me a comment below as I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Like what you read today? Click on the link below and subscribe to my blog for more of my travel adventures, freebies, and inspiration for your next trip.

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

Looking for tours in Sydney? Then check out VIATOR for their full range of private and group tours Australia’s most exciting city:

CLICK HERE

You might like to check out my other posts on Sydney, Australia:

Stock Photo by ‘pattyjansen’ on Pixabay

Stock photo from Laura Barry on Unsplash

Stock photo by ‘seanalucysmith’ on Pixabay

47 Comments Add yours

1. We should have taken that boat ride ..we just walked around the harbour front..next time we will take harbour cruise.

Liked by 1 person

1. Definitely do it! It really is a fabulous rip and so worth is 🙂 Thanks for reading and commenting.

2. Richie says:

Hi Lindsay,

Manly sounds like a great place to visit. One to add to the bucket list once all this Covid malarkey is finally finished 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. For sure Richie. It’s such a top place to visit and it’s a place you’ll feel totally at home. I hope you make it over here. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. Much appreciated x

3. Jodie | That Happy Reader says:

I don’t think I will ever get to Australia, but Manly certainly looks like some place I’d like to visit. I love your penguin! Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. You never know what the future will bring. Most people are put off by the flight as it’s a long way away from everywhere. Thanks. I thought the penguin was awesome too 😀

4. livi says:

these images were stunning!

1. Thanks Livi! It’s a beautiful place 🙂

5. Hold up, there’s a place called Manly in Australia? The jokes just write themselves. Were the dolphins they saw jumping in the morning, manly dolphins? Were they dolphins bros hitting the sea gym? Ha ha ha. I didn’t know Australians also did fish and chips

Liked by 1 person

1. LOL, I require hilarious comments like this every time now from you my friend. You’re right the jokes just write themselves! 😀 I reckon the dolphins hit the gym, then head to the pier and chow down on some fish and ships. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

6. Love this! I hadn’t heard of Manly before but it sounds like a must see when I eventually visit Australia. The Esplanade sounds super cute – and it sounds like you had some fun colouring in, haha! Thanks for sharing 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. The colouring in was the best part – LOL! Yes it really is a must do when in Sydney. You just need to jump on the ferry from the city. It’s a great place. I hope you make it over here one day as it’s awesome 🙂

Liked by 1 person

7. adding sydney to my travel bucket list! thanks for sharing!

1. Good stuff. It’s well worth visiting. You’ll love it 🙂

Liked by 1 person

8. Manly looks so good. I always dream of visiting Australia, especially when I watch Neughbours.

Liked by 1 person

1. It really is a beautiful spot 🙂 I hope you get to visit one day. You can actually visit Ramsey Street in Melbourne 🙂 I did a Neighbours Night down there and it was heaps fun. Dr. Carl and his band played 😀

Liked by 1 person

1. Oh wow! That sounds cool.

Liked by 1 person

9. Sounds like a fab day! I love being out in the water! I might see if I can start rowing down the River Irwell to work, I might see more crisp packets than dolphins though. Love your Penguin pic, I hope they put it up in the Artists section for you! If not, you can always take it home and put it on your fridge 😂 I never linked fish and chips with Australia but it’s something I’ll try if I ever get there! X

Liked by 1 person

1. Crisp packets 😀 so funny! I don’t think it’s that bad anymore is it lol? It’s been a while since I’ve last been. Yeah defo get down there are start rowing that sounds fab. I keep meaning to go kayaking with our local company over here, but still not got round to it. Yep Australia does amazing fish and chips! I don’t know whether they’re as good as our crispy cod, but they’re is different 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. No, it’s a little better, it depends which part of the river you’re at, there’s the odd shopping trolley in their sometimes 🙈 let me know how it goes if you go kayaking! X

Liked by 1 person

2. Yeah we have a lovely park here in town and sadly people think they are so cool to just dump trollies in there. I don’t get it! I will I really want to do it in the next few months 🙂

Liked by 1 person

10. I’ve never been to Australia at all but I’d love to go one day! Love these photos 🙂 x

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks Jenny. It’s one of the most amazing places in the world. I hope you make it over here one day 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

11. Ruth says:

Oh God Lindsay! Your posts always remind me that there’s a lot of places I need to visit which I haven’t visited yet. I haven’t been to Australia before and I haven’t heard of Manly before but it sounds like a fantastic place. I’ll add this to my bucket list.

Liked by 1 person

1. That’s why I’m here to inspire everyone, and show people how beautiful our world is 🙂 Don’t worry you have plenty of time. I didn’t start traveling properly until I was 24 and it was the best decision I’d ever made. Yes, Manly is such a stunning place, a typical Aussie town in Sydney and very easy to get to. Thanks so much for reading and commenting Ruth.

12. wombatjambalayaoberon31620 says:

This sounds like an amazing place. I cant wait travel again. I will definitely be adding Manly to my list. Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too. I miss traveling so much! Hopefully next year when more of the world is vaccinated. I hope you make it over to see it one day. Thanks for your comment 🙂

13. Jaya Avendel says:

Manly Beach sounds so beautiful and pretty! The small beach I visited when in Melbourne had such blue, clear water while the sand was warm and the seashells in abundance. It was too small for a dock, though, so I would love to go on a short boat ride on the ocean one day!
    Thanks for sharing. ❤

Liked by 1 person

1. That sounds lovely from what you’ve described. Victoria and around Melbourne have some amazing beaches with the clearest water. The shells! Ahhh, there’s so many over here that are full shapes and so beautiful. I love going to the beach after bad weather and seeing how many beautiful ones my daughter and I can find. Thanks so much for your lovely comments Jaya 🙂

Liked by 1 person

14. Hello! WOW, I have never been to Sydney but it looks incredible and you have really created a usable guide! I cannot wait to check it out! Alicia

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much Alicia. Sydney is wonderful and I highly recommend everyone visit at least one in their life. There’s so much to see and do 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting 🙂

Liked by 1 person

15. Australia has been on my bucket list for years so this was a lovely snapshot to remind me to keep on dreaming – great tip about sitting at the front of the ferry too, thank you!

Liked by 1 person

1. My pleasure Lisa. It would be so cool to see the dolphins, wouldn’t it? We didn’t see them on our trip over, but I know people who have. Yes, definitely keep on dreaming as Australia is such a wonderful country, and well worth the super long trip 🙂 Thanks for commenting.

16. I was lucky enough to visit Manly last time I was out there, followed by a sunset stroll to Shelly beach, beautiful! So envious of everyone who has that ferry ride for a commute!

Liked by 1 person

1. Awesome! Yes Shelly beach is lovely 🙂 especially watching the sunsets in this area. I know, there was a guy in my office where I used to work in Sydney, and he got the ferry to work and often saw the dolphins at the front 🙂

17. Wow, this place looks amazing! Australia has never been a place I’ve wanted to go in the past, but this post might have changed my mind. Thanks for sharing x

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much! I’m so glad you might consider coming down under one day. It really is an amazing country 🙂 Thanks for reading.

Liked by 1 person

18. Wow this place looks and sounds amazing! I’ve always wanted to visit Aus and this has made me more determined to do so. Thank you so much for sharing Xo

Elle – ellegracedeveson.com

Liked by 1 person

1. I hope you get to visit here one day. It’s such an amazing place 🙂 Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment.

19. Eri Tz says:

Looks like a great place to visit snd it seems that you had a really good time there! Unfortunately Australia is to far away for me to travel any time soon. Thank you for this post!

Liked by 1 person

1. That’s the problem with Australia, it’s so far from everywhere. But if you do ever make it over here, it’ll be worth the trip. Thanks so much for reading 🙂

20. Bethany dean says:

I’d love to visit Australia hopefully sooner rather than later! Sydney sounds a dream too. Great guide! x

Liked by 1 person

1. Hi Bethany, I hope you come and visit us down under when the borders open again. Sydney is such an amazing place! Definitely make sure it’s at the top of your bucket list 🙂 Thanks so much for reading my guide to Manly and also taking the time to comment.

21. Wow this looks so lovely, I would definitely love to visit
    if I come to Sydney, amazing beach. Thanks for recommending..

Liked by 1 person

1. It really is so pretty. Yes definitely add Manly to your bucket list. It’s a wonderful iconic Aussie location. Thanks for taking the time to comment 🙂

22. simplyalexjean says:

Your images look incredible – it has been many years since I’ve been to Manly but I would love to return soon! Thanks for this awesome guide 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much 🙂 It’s a great place to visit, isn’t it? Thanks so much for leaving me a comment 🙂