A QUICK GUIDE TO VISITING THE FANTASTIC SALFORD QUAYS & WHY YOU SHOULD ADD IT TO YOUR MANCHESTER BUCKET LIST!

A great entertainment area full of restaurants, museums and discount shopping

Stock Photo by Orry Verducci on Unplash

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase from my blog. While clicking these links won’t cost you anything, they will help me to keep The Travel Vine up and running! Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Thanks so much!

Around a 10-minute Metrolink ride from the city centre, Salford Quays really is an excellent spot to visit. It’s very walkable with lovely paths by the river lined with bars, restaurants, and the Lowry Outlet Village. Until the mid-1990s, this area was pretty unappealing with not much going for it. Now it’s been transformed into an entertainment hub and throughout the year there are several festivals held here. You can also visit several free museums such as the Imperial War Museum North and the The Lowry Museum.

Art Instillations at Salford Quays. It reminded me of a nod back to the area’s shipping and industrial past

Salford Quays – Stock Photo by Mathew Waring on Unsplash

Imperial War Museum North on Salford Quays

One such festival I visited was called Light Waves. It was back in December 2016 and despite the bone-chilling cold, it was so much fun. If you have seen the Vivid Festival in Sydney, Australia, it’s very similar to this, but on a smaller scale.

Light Waves Festival 2016

Like what you’ve read so far? Click on the link below and subscribe to my blog for more of my travel adventures, freebies, and inspiration for your next trip.

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

Light Waves Festival 2016

The festival is free of charge, which is always a plus. Head over after dark and walk around the illuminated displays. The river has a line of floating mini-boats, which change colour sporadically. They look beautiful against the backdrop of the water. Lights cover the tree’s

Light Waves Festival 2016

transforming part of the harbour into a winter wonderland, which leads to some kids figures of Noddy, Sponge Bob Square Pants, etc. When I went, there was also a really cool Dr. Who section too, which, even though I’m not a fan of the show, impressed me with its full-sized glow-up Dalek.

Light Waves Festival 2016

Light Waves Festival 2016

Outside the shopping center was a glow-up heart where you could hold hands with another person and electricity would pass through the two of you and light up the heart. Very cool.

Light Waves Festival 2016

Salford Quays, Salford, Manchester | www.thequays.org.uk

Thanks so much for reading my post today on visiting Salford Quays just outside of Manchester. There’s so much to see and do in this area, that it is so worth the short trip. And if the weather is fine, then it’s an absolute must!

Are you planning a future trip to Salford Quays or Manchester in the future? Leave me a comment below as I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Like what you read today? Click on the link below and subscribe to my blog for more of my travel adventures, freebies, and inspiration for your next trip.

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

Ready to book your tours in Manchester? Then check out VIATOR for their full range of private and group tours of England’s northern capital:

CLICK HERE

Did you know that Manchester and Salford have a rich shipping history? CLICK HERE to book your City River Cruise today, and discover this great city from the water.

You might like to check out my other posts on Manchester, England:

Art Instillations at Salford Quays

Art Instillations at Salford Quays.

Light Waves Festival 2016
Salford Quays – Stock Photo by Matthew Waring on Unsplash

44 Comments Add yours

1. Nice piece and a solid reminder that there’s so much for me to see in this area.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much! Yes, I know, there’s so much to see and do in this area. I used to live in Manchester and there are so many places even I still haven’t seen! 🙂

2. Not been to Salford Quays for a while, I worked there for a few years! I’ve got this week off for my birthday, so I might have a ride down, a taxi mind you, not the tram, as I am a birthday princess😂 the coronation street set has moved there too now, I went a couple of years ago x

Liked by 1 person

1. OMG, you can still tour the Corrie set??? I thought they’d got rid of it! Awww have a fabulous birthday! I take it you’ll be turning 21? 😉 Yes no dirty trams on your birthday, gotta be a taxi 🙂 it’s such a beautiful place when it’s nice and warm.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes! The old one has been demolished now (Granada studios) it’s massive too, it’s more like a small village than a street now, it’s got a Costa, co-op and a police station 😂 yes 21 again (plus 12). Yes I’ll definitely be taking a coat if I go before spring x

2. I’ll have to check it out. A Costa Coffee? That’s mint! 🙂

3. Yeah, I think they’re in some sort of sponsorship deal with them 😂 x

Liked by 1 person

3. Those are some amazing photos. I’ve never been to Salford area, at least not that I can remember anyway. Who knew it had so much going on. I might have to take a trip up there at some point

Liked by 1 person

1. It really is a cracking place 🙂 It’s also so easy to get to from Manchester City Centre. Thanks for reading.

4. Love this! I’d really like to visit the Light Waves festival like you did – I’ll have to take someone else with me so I can do the heart thing! Thanks for sharing, I’ll have to add this to my bucket list.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes it’s a great festival. I think we went for it’s first year in 2016. This alone is a great reason to go, then you have all the other attractions, makes it a great destination. Thanks for reading 🙂

5. Jaya Avendel says:

Light shows over water are breathtaking and magical as the reflection adds something beyond the ordinary to the experience.

‘Quays’ is a lovely word too, and I love that the Salford Quays are easily accessible, walkable, and offer more sights in addition to the water.
    Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

1. That is so true! I love water reflections 🙂 yes the water really just makes the area look super pretty and a lovely backdrop. The real entertainment is the theatres, museums, etc. Its a great place. Thanks for reading.

6. Flavio says:

Light waves festival looks cool!! And the Doctor who part is a + for me!! Nice post, Thank you for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

1. My pleasure. I hope you’ll add it to your bucket list. Yes the Dr. Who part was really popular and there were lots of people buzzing around, despite the cold. Thanks so much for reading.

7. Went here years ago on a course. It wasn’t quite as good as it looks now. Definitely somewhere to give another go!

Liked by 1 person

1. Definitely! Salford Quays has been completely transformed since the noughties. There’s heaps to see and do. Thanks for reading 🙂

8. Kevin Foodie says:

Thanks for sharing your experiences in Manchester. Never been there, but hope to visit someday. Your photos are awesome and very sharp. What camera 📷 did you use?

Liked by 1 person

1. Hi Kevin. Thanks so much for commenting. Manchester is a great place to visit, especially Salford Quays 🙂 I use a Canon EO5 now but I don’t remember what was used on these as they were taken a while ago 🙂

9. Manchester is on my travel bucket list and your photos of the area look amazing! Thanks for sharing.

10. Corinne says:

I’ve never visited this place but I’ve heard of it before! I love Dr Who so would love to visit that if it’s still there!

Corinne x

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s on every December Corinne. I’m not sure whether the Dr. Who objects are there every year, as this is the only one I’ve been to, as I emigrated the following year LOL. It’s a great place to visit though even when the festivals not on 🙂 Thanks so much for commenting.

11. Ruth says:

I have never been to Manchester before. I haven’t been to Salford quay either but it looks so beautiful. I would really love to participate in the lightwave festival. It seems pretty fun! And you’ve taken such beautiful photos. Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks Ruth 🙂 It really is a great spot and a wonderful city for a holiday, with so much to see and do. Thanks for reading 🙂

12. mummyconqueringanxiety says:

Great post.

I love Manchester & hope to visit again soon. I’ve only ever done Deansgate & the city centre though.

The pictures look amazing & defo worth a visit.

Liked by 1 person

1. I’m glad to hear you’ve been to Manchester. Defo add this to your bucket list next time you’re here 🙂 Thanks so much for reading.

13. I can’t wait to travel again! I’ve never been to Manchester before but these look like wonderful places to visit. Thanks for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too! I miss it sooo much 😦 Definately stick it on your bucket list, as it’s a great place to visit with lots of free attractions. Thanks for commenting 🙂

Liked by 1 person

14. Wow love the art installations and light installations.
    Amazing place..

Liked by 1 person

1. I know they are great, hey? It was such a clear night too, despite the cold, it was a great night. I hope you get to visit one day 🙂 Thanks for reading.

15. Omg this looks and sounds amazing. I’d never heard of this before now so thank you so much for sharing this. I’ll defiantly be adding this to my list of places to visit when visiting Manchester! Xo

Elle – ellegracedeveson.com

Liked by 1 person

1. Awesome! you’ll love it 🙂 plus their heaps of other things to do in the area that are free, so it’s a real winner 🙂

16. Had a stayover here once and went to the best cocktail bar called the Alchemist which was near the theatre. It is a hive of activity and I found time to buy some great trainers in a shopping arcade. Must go back and also see Coronation Street too.

Liked by 1 person

1. That’s right, I’ve found out this week that you can actually tour Corrie now 🙂 Yes I know the Alchemist. I used to work near there 🙂 Thanks for commenting.

Liked by 1 person

17. When I finally get back to living in the UK this is going on my visit/travel bucket list. I like quayside areas to explore as there’s usually so much history (which Salford clearly has). Thanks for the info!

Liked by 1 person

1. You’re so right! Keep an eye out for a future post on the Imperial Way Museum on Salford Quays. It really is great 🙂 Me to I love water locations. Especially the reflections from the buildings on the water. I hope you get to visit in the future. You’ll love it here 🙂 Thanks so much for taking the time to read and comment on my post.

18. The Light Waves Festival looks like such a fun way to spend an evening! The pictures are great and it looks like there is such a great variety of installations to check out. I can’t wait to travel again and visit interesting areas like this one. Thanks for sharing about it!

Liked by 1 person

1. It really is awesome. I’d love to go back myself too 🙂 Not only is it a fun place to visit, but it’s on over the Christmas period so there is a great atmosphere in the air too 🙂 Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.

Liked by 1 person

19. I’ve got this added to my ever-growing bucket list for travel. Thanks so much!

Liked by 1 person

1. Glad to hear it Sue, it’s a great place to visit 🙂 Thanks so much for reading and commenting.

20. wombatjambalayaoberon31620 says:

I love going to Salford Quay. There is so much to do there. Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. My pleasure love 🙂 It’s a great place, isn’t it? I love it here too. Can’t wait to go back when I’m next in Manchester. Thanks for commenting.

21. I’ve never been to Manchester but I would quite like to visit, my best friends sister lives in Manchester and he goes quite often to visit, or he did before the pandemic. The Salford Quays sounds like a great place to visit. Thank you for sharing, will definitely have to keep this in mind.

Liked by 1 person

1. Awesome! Definitely recommend visiting Manchester and Salford Quays. There are heaps of things to do and a lot of free stuff too. If you do ever go I have an awesome guide on here which will help you play your stay 🙂 Thanks so much for reading Jordanne