HOW TO SEE THE PICASSO MUSEUM IN BARCELONA FOR FREE!

I’m not normally into cubism or modern art, but I really admire this bloke and his work!

Part of the beautiful interior of the Picasso Museum

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase from my blog. While clicking these links won’t cost you anything, they will help me to keep The Travel Vine up and running! Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Thanks so much!

Part of the ground floor of the museum

My husband Zac and I had been having a wonderful day perusing the streets of Barcelona. I was particularly loving the part of the city called the Gothic Quarter due to its medieval streets, and narrow alleyways. My top bucket list item for the day was finding the Picasso Museum. However, with only a basic map from our lonely planet pocket guide (buy your copy here), we were struggling to navigate the intricate streets. Finally after as hour or so, we finally arrived at the Picasso Museum (MUSEO PICASSO). I first learned about this fantastic artist more than 25-years ago during my high school art class, and I always thought his work was brilliant, so to finally see some of his work in the flesh was really exciting.

One of the sumptuous rooms

HOW TO ENTRE FOR FREE?

The queue to enter was ridiculously long, snaking up the entire laneway. I guess that’s what we get for choosing to go after 3 PM on a Sunday, as every man and his dog had turned up to take advantage of the free entry. Yep that’s right! Every Thursday evening between 6 PM to 9.30 PM as well as the first Sunday of every month from 3 PM onwards  is free entry. It’s worth noting that the museum is closed on Mondays, just in case you’re only planning a short trip.

I found this small photograph of Picasso on the ground level before heading up to see his works, I thought he definitely deserved more of a intro than a tiny photograph!

Picasso’s collection is housed across five large townhouses. I’ve always thought he was ahead of his time in many ways, and it’s interesting to me that I even like some of his later paintings, considering modern or contemporary art is really not my thing. Overall, I think it’s the rebel in him that speaks to me more than anything else. Despite being able to paint very well, he chose to change to a cubist style rather than conform with the masses, which allowed him to branch out and try new ideas. Some of my favourite paintings from this era include The Weeping Women (1937), Le Reve (1932), and Les Demoiselles d’Avignon (1907). From his earlier non-cubist work, I really like his blue period, especially The Old Guitarist (1904).

Looking to book some tours of Barcelona? Check out The Tour Guy today and receive 5% off when you book 3 or more tours. CLICK HERE!

Some of the beautiful stonework found in the courtyard inside the museum

However, just as we arrived at the very popular Cubist section, fate stepped in to try and ruin my day! Earlier that day, we’d were walking around the fountains at PLAZA DE CATALUNA, where I encountered a women wearing the same dress as me! While admiring some awesome works, the “same-dress-women” from the Plaza strolled in right behind me! It blew my mind how oblivious she was. It was bad enough that I had to have her stand near me, making us both look ridiculous, but now, being in the Picasso museum, the confined space left me with nowhere to hide. Every time I walked into a new room, “same-dress-lady” was behind me! So I ended up skipping several rooms ahead and doubled back after I saw her leave. Cringe! Despite the embarrassment, I still found this museum a definite highlight of our trip.

The infamous dress!

Thanks for reading my blog post today on visiting the Picasso Museum in Barcelona. Despite not being able to take any photos inside of his amazing work, I hope I’ve convinced you to add this amazing museum to your itinerary. I’ve admired Picasso since starting high school when I first learned about him in art class, so I was super happy to be able to see his work in person. The area in which the museum is located is in the beautiful Gothic Quarter, which happens to be my favourite part of the city, if you would like to learn more about this wonderful area, check out my post: WHY YOU CAN’T MISS WANDERING THROUGH THE HISTORIC GOTHIC QUARTER IN BARCELONA, SPAIN!

Have you visited the Picasso Museum in Barcelona? What is your favourite piece on display? Let me know in the comments section below.

Like what you read today? Click on the link below and subscribe to my blog for more of my travel adventures, freebies, and inspiration for your next trip.

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

Ready to book your tours in Barcelona? Check Viator (A Trip Advisor Company) and book ahead to save time and money. Book Now!

CLICK HERE

You might like to check out my other posts on Barcelona, Spain:

49 Comments Add yours

1. Corinne says:

I love visiting museums in other countries! Especially free ones! Sorry you had to wait so long though!

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too! Especially the smaller community ones where you can really get to know the towns. This one of great though, and don’t worry the queue is so worth it 🙂

2. Oh wow…..Picasso is one of my all-time favorite artist. I will add this museum to my bucket list. Thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. Awesome! I’m so glad to hear this. It’s a great museum in a wonderful building, in possibly one of the best areas in Barcelona, the Gothic District! Thanks for reading 🙂

3. Love this! Barcelona’s been on my bucket list for a while now and I’d love to visit this museum someday. It sounds like an amazing experience – although the same dress lady part sounds embarrassing, haha! Thanks for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. It really was terrible! That’s what you get for wearing a dress from Primark lol. I hope you get to go as it’s really awesome 🙂

4. Jaya Avendel says:

I love the old feel to the museum; the stone walls and floors and empty rooms make for a fascinating atmosphere and even the one picture has a lot of emotion behind it!
    Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. I know I completely agree 🙂 sometimes your surroundings can really enhance the experience. I do love wandering around old places filled with history. I appreciate you commenting 🙂

Liked by 1 person

5. Wow this looks beautiful. Picasso Has always been one of my favourite artists, ever since I was a kid! I love Barcelona and I’m desperate to go back so this will be on my list of places to visit. Thank you for sharing Xo

Elle – ellegracedeveson.com

Liked by 1 person

1. That’s awesome Elle. Me too I’ve admired him for years. I hope you do get to go back one day. I’d love to take my Mum as I’ve told her so much about it that she always says that one day we’ll go 🙂 Thanks so much for reading!

6. Looks like gothic architecture too! I love it, if there was a museum about me I’d want a bigger image too…and possible commemorative plates for sale x

Liked by 1 person

1. It is! It’s in the Gothic Quarter so it’s full of beautiful buildings like this. I agree, he should have a whopping, great big image 🙂 My museum would look like a castle and the interior would be the John Rylands Library on Deansgate 😀 Thanks so much for reading.

Liked by 1 person

1. Love John Rylands it’s right across the road from my work, I might call in tomorrow on my lunch x

Liked by 1 person

2. Yeah do it! What a lovely place to spend your lunch. I can’t wait to visit Manchester again in the future 🙂

3. I’ll keep you up to date on it in the meantime 😂 x

4. Can’t wait 🙂

7. There must be a lot of people who want to go visit it as well. Thank you for sharing this with us. I will consider it when I visit Barcelona soon.

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s my pleasure Fransic. It’s a great museum in a wonderful city. I hope you get to go and experience it for yourself. Look out for my city guide coming later this year.

8. Large boy has just started looking into Picasso in art at school and I’d love the visit Barcelona. Maybe it’s a trip to think about for next Easter. Thanks for sharing such a great tip.

Liked by 1 person

1. My pleasure! I’m so glad your son has started learning about Picasso at school. That’s where I discovered my love for him too. Barcelona really is a great trip for a family. I hope you get to go you’ll have a blast. Keep a lookout for my Barcelona Guide coming up later this year 🙂 Thanks for commenting.

9. I like learning and visiting different museums and experiencing other places. I have never been to Barcelona but this looks like a great activity especially it being free. Thank you for sharing.

Lauren – bournemouthgirl

Liked by 1 person

1. My pleasure! I definitely recommend visiting this great museum when you head to Barca. It’s such an amazing city 🙂 Thanks for commenting.

Liked by 1 person

10. Sounds amazing, I was aware that his Collection was over five buildings. What an amazing opportunity to have seen his work is close up as you did. I’m sure it was worth the waiting in the queue. I really have to up my game when it comes to visiting museums and galleries as it’s always something I’ve wanted to do but one of those things that I just don’t quite get round to, that has to change. Thank you for sharing such an interesting and motivating blog post.

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes, it’s a great building and really doesn’t detract from the awesome pieces on display 🙂 I think visiting galleries and museums in different places really enhances your time here. Hope you get to see it one day. Thanks so much for commenting.

11. Thank you for sharing such a lovely experience, I didn’t realise that his collection was across five buildings. So interesting, I keep saying that I want to visit more museums and galleries however sadly and never quite get round to it. This is something that has to change because like you I really do enjoy art and have done so since secondary school. Thank you for sharing such an interesting and motivating blog post.

12. Karalee says:

I didn’t know there was a Picasso Museum in Barcelona but that’s nice they have free days. I would like to visit it one day.

Liked by 1 person

1. I know I love the free days too. It all helps when you’re on a budget like we were. Thanks so much for reading 🙂

Liked by 1 person

13. I adore going to museums! If I ever go back to Barcelona I have to go visit this Picasso museums, it sounds and looks really good. Sounds like you had a great experience and well worth the wait to get in. Thank you for sharing with us. And ps, the dress looks lovely, I’m sure you wore the hell out of it, even if someone else had the same one.

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too! They are probably some of the first things I’ll seek out when I head to a new city 🙂 It’s defo worth the wait. I agree I defo wore it better LOL!

14. Lou Farrell says:

This sounds like a fantastic place to visit, and when I do go, I’ll make sure I’m wearing an unusual outfit, one which Picasso would be proud of.

Liked by 1 person

1. Ha ha brilliant! Just make sure your outfit isn’t from Primark as everyone else will have the same idea 🙂 It really is a great place to visit. I hope you get to see if one day. Thanks for reading.

15. Ruth says:

Barcelona has been on my bucket list for ages lol. I have heard so much about Picasso. I didn’t know that there was a Picasso museum in Barcelona. Wearing the same dress as someone there must have been crappy lol. You do look great in the dress tho. Thank you for sharing x

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes, there’s a great one in the city as he used to live here 🙂 If you like Picasso, you’ll love his work as he also has some ‘normal’ pieces too. Yeah, the same dress lady incident was so embarrassing and I’ve learned my lesson now, not to buy the cheap mass-produced clothes and wear them in a big city with lots of tourists LOL! 🙂 Thanks for reading as always love 🙂 xoxo

1. I’m so glad you were able to see the Picasso Museum and get an up close look at his works! We were in Barcelona, but only had a few days. We did walk around the Gothic Quarter and toured some churches. Our main goal was to tour the La Sagrada Familia, which was beyond amazing!

Liked by 1 person

2. Awesome! We saw La Sagrada Familia too but didn’t go inside.

16. Ellie says:

I missed this when I was in Barcelona! But I definitely want to go back there some day so thanks for sharing your tips on how to visit it for free 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. My pleasure Ellie. Me too there was heaps I didn’t get to see to as I was only there for just over a day 🙂 Thanks for commenting.

17. Wow this museum looks amazing, and so cool that there are ways to get in for free 🙂 thanks for sharing x

Liked by 1 person

1. It really is a great museum to visit. Highly recommended if you’re in the city. Thanks for reading 🙂

18. I want to go there. Barcelona looks so interesting, especially the Picasso bits. Same-dress-lady made me chuckle and cringe.

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s so worth visiting. I would like to go back one day 🙂 I know! The worst part is that she didn’t even care LOL!

Liked by 1 person

19. I love Barcelona and we’ve been a few times now, although not made it to the Picasso museum – great tip about the free entry though, thank you! Like you, I love the Gothic Quarter, and also Las Ramblas, which is always full of amazing street artists. No less impressive is the graffiti artwork on some of the buildings – truly a city of culture, I’d love to go back 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too it’s a wonderful city, isn’t it? It’s a great money saver to see such an amazing museum. I totally agree that the Gothic Quarter is beautiful with historic streets and a great place to explore 🙂

20. lynnmumbingmejia says:

Ah, this is awesome! I love taking advantage of the free or by donation museums in the city. I often try and attend art galleries that offer this. Barcelona looks so dreamy x

Lynn | https://www.lynnmumbingmejia.com

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too! I love museums and galleries 🙂 Barcelona is a great place to visit. I hope you get to visit one day 🙂

21. Manju S M says:

Hey, that’s a super useful tip. I mean who wouldn’t like to check out the museum for free. Museums take us into a whole new era.

Liked by 1 person

1. They certainly do Manju! I love galleries and museums and always try to seek them out when I visit anywhere new. Thanks for reading 🙂

22. This is such a fantastic post. I am all for the tips on how to save money travelling and this is just excellent. I cannot wait to visit this museum now. Really appreciate your tips.

Liked by 1 person

1. My pleasure Becca. It’s totally worth adding to your bucket list! Please look out for my guide coming in a few weeks on how to spend 24 hours in Barcelona. Thanks so much for reading and commenting 🙂