QUEEN VICTORIA BUILDING (QVB) – MY GUIDE TO THE BEST PLACE TO SHOP IN SYDNEY!

This is my favourite place to shop when in Sydney

How beautiful is this place?

Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links, which means I may receive a commission if you click a link and make a purchase from my blog. While clicking these links won’t cost you anything, they will help me to keep The Travel Vine up and running! Click here to read my full disclosure policy. Thanks so much!

BOOK NOW!

If you’re keen on shopping and wish to be surrounded by exceedingly beautiful and classy Victorian architecture, with five levels of retailers and boutiques, then this is where you ought to go. Whenever I shop in Sydney, this is always my favourite place to start. You’ll feel like you have stepped back in time once you see the detailed patterned tiles, ornate balustrades’ and industrial style look. The lower level is cleverly extended underground and connects you to Town Hall Train Station as well as other department stores and shopping areas on Pitt Street, so it’s great for a chilly or rainy day.

I love the floor tiles in the QVB
The beautiful dome inside QVB

Though to truly appreciate the QVB in all of its glory, you need to head to the top floor and look over the balustrades to take it all in. From here you can see the beautiful patterned floor tiles featuring stars in red, white and blue. The design reminds me of the Australian flag. It’s really cool.

The awesome castle clock on the top floor

BOOK NOW

Several features are worth checking out while shopping here. Starting off outside the building on the corner of George and Druitt Street is a statue of Queen Victoria herself, from her later years. Then there’s the Ivan the Dog statue, which honestly filled me with dread and made me shudder every time I went near it. I lived in Sydney many moons ago and this statue is where I would meet my husband every night after work. The statue actually talks. I don’t mean to sound like a grump, but every night for a year, I would hear, ‘Hi, my name is Ivan. I am Queen Victoria’s dog…’ and it would prattle on for another 30-seconds or so. Once it stopped talking, if anyone went near it, then off it would start again. On my most recent trip, as I stepped closer to take a photo of the elusive Ivan, I was on edge to see if I would set it off! I’m pleased to announce that there’s no annoying voice anymore! Yay!

Ivan the Dog Statue
Another awesome clock

If you have a sweet tooth, be sure to check out Haigh’s Chocolates at the entrance here. Although pricy, they are worth giving yourself a little treat. The exits that lead you to either George or York Street each have a very pretty staircase with beautiful stained-glass windows in the center. But before you descend the stairs, be sure to check out the interesting mini exhibits behind the glass, almost like a micro museum of artifacts.

Queen Victoria Statue outside the front of QVB

The beautiful windows by the staircase

The top floor is really cool and not what I expected. It’s carpeted, giving it a much cosier feel, with an airplane hanger style roof and a medieval castle hanging clock – clearly they knew the Queen of Castles (me!) was in the building!

Check out the detail on the patterned floor tiles
It is such a beautiful building from every angle

If you are ever here around December, I highly recommend checking out the annual Christmas tree that stretches up to the 5th floor and is the biggest one I have ever seen. It’s amazing!

455 George Street, Sydney, NSW 2000 | www.qvb.com.au

Christmas tree at the QVB

Thanks for reading my post on the Queen Victoria Building (QVB) in Sydney. I really do love shopping here, but sometimes I just go to look around and adore the architecture and the beautiful detail around the building. Also, it’s not a bad place to escape to when the weather is bad too!

Are you planning Are you planning on visiting Sydney in the future? Will you be visiting the beautiful QVB? Let me know in the comments section below.

Like what you’ve read today? Click on the link below and subscribe to my blog for more of my travel adventures, freebies, and inspiration for your next trip.

Processing…
Success! You're on the list.

Still looking for more inspiration for your Sydney trip? Check out my highly recommended travel books and products:

Ready to start booking your trip to Sydney? Book your hotel today through HOTELOPIA.

SEARCH HERE

Looking for more recommendations in Sydney? Check out my other posts on Australia’s best city:

Front of the building

The beautiful detailing in the outside

So beautiful

Oh Christmas tree, oh Christmas tree…

23 Comments Add yours

1. Omg!!!!!!! I’ve been to QVB. I miss this mall a lot. And I definitely miss Sydney a lot. Sydney is one of my favorite destinations. I hope to travel there again in the future. Last but not least, thank you for taking me on this virtual tour. XoXo.

Liked by 1 person

1. Awww you are so welcome Fadima! I’m glad you enjoyed it 🙂 Yes, Sydney is one of my favorite destinations too as it’s just so fun and exciting with heaps to do 🙂 I hope you get to visit again one day. xoxo

2. Cedric Noronha says:

Very good post. Highly informative for travellers and shopaholics who want to visit the Queen Victoria building in Sydney and do a bit of shopping there. Marvelous architecture on the building. Nicely written and keep up the good work.

1. Thank you Cedric for your lovely comments. It’s a great place to visit 🙂

3. Puloma.B says:

What an amazing architecture of Queen Victoria Building, would love to visit it. Nicely written.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much, Puloma. I hope you get to visit one day. It truly is a beautiful building 🙂

4. Puloma.B says:

What a beautiful place! Loved the awesome architecture and the Christmas tree decorations!

5. travelbyexample says:

I remember this shopping center! We visited it when we were in Syndey. Not for shopping, to be honest, but for the beautiful bulding inside and out!
    Great pictures you have – gave me some flashbacks to our visit! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much for reading 🙂 yes, me too!! I was more here to gaze upon the beautiful interior more than anything lol. Although the shops here are just a bonus.

6. Wow!! Your pictures are incredible!! I am hoping to travel Australia once it opens and this is now on my bucket list!! The place looks incredible! I love that it extends to a train station too! Great post, thanks for sharing, Alicia

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much Alicia for your lovely comments and for taking the time to read 🙂 I do love photography and it was worth all the weird looks I was getting from people as I walked around photographing the place lol! Yes, definitely stick this place on the list. It’s so convenient too like you said as it connects to Town Hall train station. I hope you make it over here one day.

7. Eri Tz says:

This is a really beautiful building where you could have a great time just looking around. It has so many things to see that you could definitely spend a full day there. I hope I will visit Sidney one day and pay it a visit also! Thank you for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much for reading Eri 🙂 you’re right you really could spend the whole day here!

Liked by 2 people

8. Mary says:

Lovely post!!! And beautiful photos!

1. Thank you so much Mary. I appreciate you taking the time to read my post 🙂

9. Laura says:

Ooh, I hadn’t heard of the QVB! I hope to visit Sydney as soon as I can and will add QVB to my itinerary. Great post, thanks for sharing!

Liked by 1 person

1. My pleasure Laura and thanks so much for reading 🙂 I’m so glad you’re going to visit when our borders open again – hopefully soon! Best of luck planning your trip 😀

10. Eddie says:

Wow such a stunning building and interior. I love visiting places with a history and decor. The shops sound brilliant too, plenty for everyone. Enjoyed reading this, thank you for sharing.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks so much Eddie! I appreciate you taking the time to read and comment. It really is a beautiful place, and so easy to find as it’s right in the centre of town. Lots of awesome shops too as you said, but nothing beats Haigh’s Chocolate shop on the ground floor! Mmmmm…

Liked by 1 person

11. The QVB is a lovely building but I remember as an impoverished student that the shops were definitely window shopping only! Now Paddy’s Market was a different matter. We spent many Sundays there getting bargains!

Liked by 1 person

1. I completely agree David! The QVB is a beautiful building, but yeah, I also just enjoyed the architecture as I was a student too and couldn’t afford to shop in many of the places in here – lol! But Paddy’s Markets?! I love it here 🙂 I bought many items from here. That takes me back 🙂

12. Looks so good! I want to go.

Liked by 1 person

1. It’s awesome 🙂 I hope you get to visit one day!